Goody Two Shoes
I Am Little Miss Goody Two Shoes
While reading this article, I felt that the writer was speaking to me. I consider myself the poster child of "Little Miss Goody Two Shoes" — I am guilty of carving out time in my day to write because I feel like I have to. Nothing good ever comes of it, most of the writing that comes out of me at that time is garbage, but I do it to make myself feel better. Being a college student, it's hard to spend the time writing for fun, when all you do is write papers and the last thing you want to do in your free time is write more.
I was in a Fiction Workshop course last semester and every class we went around the room to check in on each other to see how writing is going. I gave the same dreadful explanation as to why I hadn't written anything, and my fellow students gave encouragement and told me to "write every day, even if it's terrible." This made me feel a bit better, and I carried on with my daily writing but felt that nothing was coming from it. After reading this article, I know why. The author said something that really stood out to me, "[writing] is a waste of energy because it takes tremendous effort to just follow the rules if your heart isn't into it." Everyone in my life knows I'm a writer, and they constantly ask me if I'm working on another book. It's the same answer every time, "I'm taking my time with this one," but that just means that I'm writing, but not getting anywhere. When I force myself to put pen to paper (or in my case, fingers to keys), it takes the joy out of writing for me. It feels like something that I have to do, rather than something that I want to do.
The write of the article goes on to talk about finding something that makes you happy, and that you can put your full energy into. In the last few years I have been cyber-stalking the royal family (its completely innocent, I swear) and writing about their every move on my Instagram account. I have built a small following and have connected with people from around the world who also spend their time royal-watching. S
ide note - have you heard what's going on in the news lately about the royal family? If not, it only takes a two-second Google search to figure it out. But if you're too lazy, it's basically this:
Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Since I started to feel like writing was a chore, I decided to take a step back and enjoy life and try other things. I'm tired of being "Little Miss Goody Two Shoes" and forcing words to come out of me when I know that they aren't there. I know that the words will eventually come. I just have to step away and enjoy other things in life. You can find inspiration in anything, at any moment, it just takes a new perspective.

Yes, I have heard about the royals and it does seem that they too want to break out of the mold of being goody two shoes. I think you have a good philosophy moving forward.
ReplyDelete