The Memoir of a College Student



I'm not going to lie, my life isn't fascinating enough to write a memoir about. Yes there so many great things that have happened, and are happening in my life at the moment, but I can't imagine anyone would be interested in what I had to say.

The first story that came to my mind was the day I met my now fiance. I have been best friends with his sister since high school, but had never personally met him because he was in Ann Arbor attending the University of Michigan, and then moved to New York City right after he graduated and lived there for four years. In August 2017, I was asked by my best friend to join her and her family at their cottage in Avalon, Michigan. I knew that her brother was going to be there, and even though she swore up and down that it was not her plan to set us up, she tried to do it anyway. It wasn't love at first sight or anything, and to be honest, it was the first time in my life that I was seriously nervous to be around a guy that I thought was cute. But we had the same interests and views about life, and for some weird reason I could imagine myself ending up with him someday. By the end of the trip I developed a small crush, but he went back to New York and I went back to Clinton Township and we didn't even have each other's cell phone numbers. He moved back home to Michigan a couple months later, and he attended his sisters Halloween party, and we've been together ever since.

What I learned throughout this is that love comes around even when you're not looking for it. I've been in countless bad relationships and when I was finally able to throw in the towel and give up, someone very special was waiting for me just around the corner.

Another story that comes to my mind was when my paternal grandmother died in December of 2016. She was one of my favorite people, and the fact that she is gone forever still shakes me to my core. The last day I saw her alive was on Thanksgiving, two weeks before she passed away. She cooked the entire Thanksgiving meal, while humming and dancing along to her favorite songs. We enjoyed a large meal and talked about the results of the past election. After dinner, I went and sat on the couch in the living room and went on my phone to do my annual Black Friday Shopping. I didn't talk to my grandma any more that night, since she was cleaning up in the kitchen and talking to my aunt. I never thought that that would be the last time I saw my grandma. It still haunts me to this day that I didn't get to spend more time with her that night, and tell her how much I loved her. I will never get that opportunity again.

What I learned about this story is that you never know how much time you have left with someone you love. Never forget to tell them how much you love them, and always appreciate them while they're still here.

Comments

  1. Any of these ideas will work, but you have a short amount of space (think blog post) to sort it all out. It might be a better idea to think of using a snippet of one of these recollections, so you have space to develop it the way you want to.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment